What causes a gas leak and why is it dangerous?
Gas leaks are often caused by a faulty appliance or a boiler that has been poorly maintained. Sometimes, it’s due to incorrect installation in the first place. It is worth noting that older appliances are at more risk, so keeping up to date with services is really important.
The reason a gas leak is so dangerous is it can cause carbon monoxide poisoning, otherwise known as a silent killer. Carbon monoxide is colourless and odourless, and could very easily go unnoticed.
You should always make sure your appliances are installed and serviced by Gas Safe registered engineers, such as Williams Plumbing & Heating. We offer a 24-hour call-out service as well as an annual service for your boiler.
How can you tell if you have a gas leak?
The biggest indication that you have a gas leak is the smell of gas in your home. You might start to feel dizzy or generally unwell; if your symptoms disappear when you leave your house, this could be a sign of a gas leak or even carbon monoxide poisoning.
You should look out for some other key signs that could be indicative of a gas leak. If the gas rings on your cooker are orange or yellow, instead of blue, then seek assistance. Likewise, if your boiler’s pilot light keeps blowing out, then you should ring an engineer to check this. If you notice scorched areas on an appliance, be wary as this could also be a sign of a gas leak.
What should you do if you find a gas leak?
If you’ve discovered there is a gas leak in your home, your first action should be to turn off the gas supply. Take some time to find out how to do this now, so that you can do it quickly should you find a gas leak in the future. Make sure you open all the windows and doors to circulate fresh air through your home and avoid using any electrical devices as it could ignite the leaked gas. This includes your mobile phone.
How to prevent a gas leak
Preventing a gas leak is far easier than trying to treat one, so don’t underestimate the importance of regular boiler services and check your appliances for general wear and tear. For a further step in protecting your home, install a carbon monoxide alarm and make sure the batteries are always working.