You may have a cooker, boiler or fire in your home but how many of us remember to get our gas appliances checked each year by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer? As summer comes to an end and autumn is upon us, Gas Safety Week from the 16th-22nd September 2019 aims to raise awareness of gas safety. Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause fires, carbon monoxide poisoning, leaks and even explosions. Here are 11 statistics every household should be aware of...
1. 1 in 9 inspected boilers are thought to be unsafe according to the Gas Safe Register.
2. More than half (61%) of the UK didn't get their boilers serviced last year.
3. A quarter of a million gas jobs are carried out each year by unqualified gas fitters. Check the Gas Register for an official list of approved gas engineers.
4. 4,000 people go to A&E in England and Wales each year because of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning. CO poisoning causes 50 deaths a year and a further 200 people are hospitalised.
5. The most dangerous appliance in the home is a gas fire. Half of the gas fires (1 in 2) inspected by Gas Safe Register are unsafe.
6. Spot the symptoms. 41% of the UK wouldn’t know what to do if there was CO in their home.
7. A carbon monoxide alarm could save your life but nearly 27 million people in the UK don’t have one in their home.
8. Take care when buying carbon monoxide alarms online. Dozens from China, sold on popular sites such as Amazon and eBay have been withdrawn after failing safety tests. Carbon monoxide is a "silent killer" because it is invisible and odourless. Make sure you check yours is working properly.
9. It is the landlord's responsibility to get gas appliances checked annually. Tenants should remind landlords if they are not sure when the last inspection was.
10. 1.6 million calls each year are made to the Gas Emergency Service. That's about one call every 20 seconds, from across the UK.
11. In the past year, twenty percent of people in the UK had a boiler breakdown. That equates to 1 in 5 homes.
Remember to be Gas Safety aware and always hire a professional for all your electrical needs. Our portfolio of electrical services also includes inspection and testing, installing security and fire alarms, as well as fitting car charging points. Every aspect inside and outside of your home is covered by us.